Home Page Forums Tinylab Infrared (IRemote)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kerem 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gtinylab
    Participant

I am really a software guy, not a hardware guy. Can anyone provide a simple tutorial about how to add Infrared send/receive to the Tinylab?

I am (naively) assuming that send is pretty simple: maybe just replacing one of the red LEDs by turning off a DIP switch, putting an IR LED on the patch board and adding a couple of patch cables. Receive may be slightly more effort but hopefully not much.

But a list of parts needed, and some simple instructions (or a Youtube video) would be very helpful.

My contribution: from a software point of view, the IRemote library seems to be the way to go.

kerem

You can use IR receivers like TSOP1738. They work flawlessly with IRemote library.

gtinylab
    Participant

I used @kerem‘s recommendation and used a TSOP1738 as receiver. As sender I have a generic IR LED. Here are some notes in case anyone else wants to use IR with their TinyLab.

• Library: Use IRemote. By the way, if anyone needs the keycodes for use with IRemote for a Humax PVR remote control contact me. I have made a note of them all.
    • Receive: Use the TSOP1738 (I used a cheap generic which seemed to be the same). The pinout on the one I used is (when the receiver lens is facing you) right pin goes to 5V, centre pin goes to 0V, left pin goes to the arduino. You can use any digital input (you tell IRemote which one you are using). I connected it to pin D11 (labelled 11 on the connectors top right of the tinylab board, near the reset button). Turn off switch 7 on the adjacent DIP block to disconnect the pin from LED3, its normal use on tinylab.
    • Transmit: I used a generic IR LED, in series with a 150 ohm resistor. The cathode goes to 0V, the anode goes through the resistor to pin 13 on the same block. Note that you must use that particular pin for transmit (with this particular arduino CPU). This is the normal pin for LED1 so you need to turn off the DIP switch number 5 to disconnect that.

This then works well with IRemote for both transmit and receive (you can only do one at a time). I got a transmit range of a few inches, which is fine for prototyping. A real application which needs longer range could use optics (lens and reflector), add more leds, and/or maybe increase the current (if necessary using a transistor to apply higher current from Vcc instead of taking it from the arduino pin).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.