Home Page Forums Tinylab Next generation of TinyLab (Feature collection)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  axel50397 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

raimund

Hi all,

as I think that TinyLab won’t stay in its first version forever, I want to start a kind of idea collection dashboard in this thread, so that users can contribute to this wishlist.

To start with, here my first suggestions:

• Bipolar stepper support (using DRV8825 or TMC2100) -> must come with specification for small stepper motor, just for testing reasons to avoid overheating issues (mightbe an extension to TinyLab_v2 being connected such that step/dir and microstepping selects are being delivered from TinyLab_v2 and motor power supply and screw terminal for the stepper itself on an extra board)
    • better quality momentary buttons (some of my buttons have to be pressed pretty hard to get connection/reaction)

Raimund

tempaddress
    • Add an I2C port expander. All the existing items on the board, awesome as they are, are using up a lot of pins. I know I can add a port expander myself (and probably will) but it would be better to be on the board already.
    • Remove 7 segment display. The LCD works just fine, plus the 7 segment and the discrete LEDs keep interfering with each other. I know I could flip the 3 DIP switches to partly work around that, but that’s not a great solution.
    • Change the LCD to a graphical LCD. With the 7 segment out of the way, there’s enough room for one.
    • Replace the buzzer with a “real” speaker. The buzzer doesn’t play musical notes well at all. If you search the Electronic Goldmine website for G15681 you’ll find a PC-board sized mini-speaker for $0.99. I haven’t tried that but I bet it would sound much better.
    • Have the four buttons on 4 digital inputs. Having the last two share an analog input leads to writing more complex input code, plus I ran into issues where S4 could be pressed repeatedly, quickly, and could be read as button S3. (Analog reads are averaged over time, so if someone lets go of S4 at just the “wrong” time, half the measurement reads 500 while half reads 0, averaging to ~200 which looks like S3.)

lennart

Hey,

nice thread ­čÖé

after little experience with the board I have some ideas, too:

• ON/OFF Switch should turn off tinylab even when USB is plugged in.
    • Removing 7-Segment would be good. Then the MAX IC is needless,too

raimund1

One more improvement:

As @andren addressed in a parallel thread next version of TinyLab (could also be managed with an improved test sketch on the existing v1):

(10) Improve the responsiveness of the rotary encoder which today is a kind of non-responsive mess, if I can put it that way.

I did already address this issue to Mustafy before this forum opened because I work a lot with LCD menus controlled by rotary and I like the responsiveness of Ben Buxton’s rotary library, improved by Phillip Fisk, which you can find here: rotary_with_button

axel50397

Base it on ATmega2560. It would be great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.