Home Page Forums Raspberry Pi Shields Ping Cellular Module For Signal Strength & GPS Data

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  robert 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TechConnect
    Participant

I have 3G/4G Base Shield + Quectel EC25 Mini PCle 4G/LTE Module connected to a Raspberry Pi 4. It is connected to the internet and works great, however I was wondering if there would be any way to request Cellular Signal Strength and GPS location data while being connected to the cellular network. I know you can use minicom to access the ttyUSB3 port to request this information whilst not connected to the cellular network, but I need to be able to request this data whilst the cellular network is connected as this Raspberry Pi will be accessed and monitored remotely and it won’t have access to WiFi.

robert
    Participant

Hi there!

I have actually the same question (not with the same reason though)…

ensar

You can use ttyUSB2 for sending AT commands while tyUSB3 is busy for the internet connection.
    Similarly you can listen the GPS data from ttyUSB1

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  ensar.

robert
    Participant

Hi ensar,

Are there some easy examples we can use?
    I experimented some, but there is not really an easy way to retreive that data.

We depend on extra software to be able to send/receive AT commands and not by a simple CLI command, which makes it harder to implement in automation…

jeffm
    Participant

this project works for me

https://github.com/adammck/pygsm

robert
    Participant

Hi @jeffm,

Thanks for the link!!
    Will try this as soon as i get back from holiday.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.