Home Page Forums Raspberry Pi Shields Raspberry Pi GPRS/GPS Tracker HAT problems/bugs?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mattias Nord 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #54970

    Mattias Nord
    Participant

    Hi,

    I’ve managed to get the HAT powered up and executing my own scripts against the library but a couple of issues.

    When I read NMEA information and decode it, the GPS-location is giving me coordinates that are ~14km off from my real position. Yesterday I thought that would be because I was running the module without a SIM-card so it couldn’t use AGPS to get a better fix, so today I purchased a new SIM and tested again but I got the same NMEA result.

    So I tested some of the functions to make sure the SIM was functioning but other than the signal quality command that gives 99,99, I can’t send a SMS and I can’t connect to base station.

    I’m not sure what else I’m missing to get this up and running. The samples aren’t really helping and I’m not getting any error messages, just infinite loops that are stuck trying again and again.

    Any and all tips would be helpful.

    Thanks!

    #54972

    Mattias Nord
    Participant

    Seems I managed to figure out the SMS and connectivity problem. The bug seem to be in the tracker/tracker.py code line: 293. The call to AT+CGREG? is expecting a response of +CGREG: 0,1, but the modem responds with +CGREG: 0,5 so the loop never finishes. I updated the code to wait for 0,5 then it worked perfectly. πŸ™‚

    I’m still not getting correct GPS-coordinates though, so any ideas what could be wrong there would be helpful.

    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Mattias Nord.
    #55090

    Mattias Nord
    Participant

    And now I’ve tested with the second HAT since I ordered 2 and I’m getting the same offset / faulty coordinates so I’m wondering if there’s something I’m missing here.. πŸ™

    #55208

    Mattias Nord
    Participant

    PROBLEM SOLVED! I didn’t realise that I was supposed to reformat the coordinates when entering them into Google Maps from Lat: 5914.0152, Long: 01812.6723 to “59 14.0152, 018 12.6723” so it’s working perfectly! πŸ˜€

    I’ve actually done a fix to tracker.py also that makes it easier to configure the L96 module too. I’ll to a PR on github for that. πŸ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.