Home Page Forums Raspberry Pi Shields Send SMS from GPRS shield

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  shopper 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

Where can one find documentations/tutorial on how to send SMS using GPRS shield?
    Pi Zero W – latest raspbian

espen.grimsgaard
    Participant

Have you been able to get it up and running on pi zero w? I’ve followed the tutorial here but ifconfig ppp0 returns “ppp0 not found”. I have a pi zero w with jessie.

espen.grimsgaard
    Participant

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

using USB bridge – YES
    but my intention is to get it working using GPIO and that is a headache without any documentation provided…

[email protected]:~ $ echo “test from gammu” | gammu sendsms TEXT 003725*******
    If you want break, press Ctrl+C…
    Sending SMS 1/1….waiting for network answer..OK, message reference=5

[email protected]:~ $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0403:6015 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Bridge(I2C/SPI/UART/FIFO)

[email protected]:~ $ dmesg | grep tty
    [ 9.101993] usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

[email protected]:~ $ gammu getallsms
    Location 1, folder “Inbox”, SIM memory, Inbox folder
    SMS message
    SMSC number : “+3725509911”
    Sent : Tue 02 May 2017 19:30:32 +0300
    Coding : Default GSM alphabet (no compression)
    Remote number : “Tele2 Info”

espen.grimsgaard
    Participant

I’d love to hear from you if you can get it work using GPIO. I’m giving up.. when checking syslog it never gets past pppd call xxxx.

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

well I’m not really working on PPP – rather trying to get the damn thing to work as a SMPP
    but the issue at hand is really just a ridiculous lack of information/support by the developer of these boards – c’mon Sixfab you can do it! to expect customers to reverse engineer something they bought from you to get it to work as advertised is special kind of stupid

gorurakif
    Participant

Hello,
    I think there is a manufactuing error on (at least some of) the shields.
    Firstly I also couldnt get it working via GPIO. Then after spending several hours on sofware, schematics and comments, I came up with a solution. You should not have a connection on “pin 20” between Pi and the shield. Pin 20 is GND on Pi schematics. On Shield schematics it is indicated to be a non-connected pin but in reality it is connected. When you press Power*up button, 3.8V is injected to this pin.
    To sum up, break the connection between Pi pin 20 and the shield.

PS: I assume you are pressing Power-up button after you plug the power to the shield. Shield do not work until you power it up by the button.

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

Thank you very much! This did the trick.
    The GPRS shield now seems to work correctly but for some reason the response times are greater using GPIO than if using USB, but I can live with that.

Sixfab – add this info to the manuals and give props to this guy.

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

the pin-out chart of the GPRS shield also suggest that pin 24 should be the “PWR KEY” (and 22 “RESET”)
    I imagine that it might be possible to turn the shield on without the need to physically press the button on the shield but after trial and error I haven’t been able to find the correct pin true/false pattern.
    if this is possible as I assume and someone knows the correct sequence – please reply.

espen.grimsgaard
    Participant

Thank you! It seemed to help here as well. I don’t have a sdcard in my zero w at the moment but at least I was able to turn on the GRPS shield. From what I can tell this must be a manufacturing error?

Like jaanus I would love to know if it’s possible to turn it on without actually pressing the button. For my project this will be placed at a location not available to me at all times so being able to reset it by plugging power in/out is essential.

Michael
    Participant

The power on/off is via pin GPIO25 toggling LOW – HIGH – LOW for 2 seconds

Easiest is via a bog standard BASH script, something like

# Exports pin to userspace
    echo “25” > /sys/class/gpio/export

# Sets pin 25 as an output
    echo “out” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio25/direction

# Sets pin 25 to high
    echo “1” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio25/value

Sleep 2

# Sets pin 25 to low
    echo “0” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio25/value

Save as a xxxxxxx.sh, make it executable, call it from the GPRS script something like inserting it….

Sudo startgprs.sh

Running it again will turn it off

Starting the whole ppp0 script on boot is left as an exercise to the student…..Google is your friend…8-)

tgreenwald
    Participant

Jannus,
    The GPIO is a serial connection probably running at 115200 bps vs. the USB running at several Mbps. That might explain the latency.

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

Has anybody gotten that pin 25 on/off procedure to turn on the hat? I have tried and verified with that the pin is activated as described but the shield just wont turn on…

gorurakif
    Participant

I am using Node-Red to enable/disable GPRS Shield without pressing the POWER-UP button. I works perfectly fine.
    All you have to do is to trigger Pin22 = GPIO25 for 2 seconds. (thanks to Michael)

Below, I am sharing the Node-Red flow:

[{“id”:”bcb77d81.4a6828″,”type”:”rpi-gpio out”,”z”:”26a23853.7e3dc”,”name”:”PIN22 = GPIO25″,”pin”:”22″,”set”:””,”level”:”0″,”out”:”out”,”x”:440,”y”:60,”wires”:[]},{“id”:”3e5dfeca.d784aa”,”type”:”trigger”,”z”:”26a23853.7e3dc”,”op1″:”1″,”op2″:”0″,”op1type”:”str”,”op2type”:”str”,”duration”:”2″,”extend”:false,”units”:”s”,”reset”:””,”name”:””,”x”:260,”y”:60,”wires”:[[“bcb77d81.4a6828”]]},{“id”:”5e11e1a8.b99128″,”type”:”inject”,”z”:”26a23853.7e3dc”,”name”:”toggle”,”topic”:””,”payload”:””,”payloadType”:”date”,”repeat”:””,”crontab”:””,”once”:false,”x”:110,”y”:60,”wires”:[[“3e5dfeca.d784aa”]]}]

jaanus.reindam
    Participant

got it working, thanks!
    and at last I am happy with my GPRS shield… 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Send SMS from GPRS shield’ is closed to new replies.