In this tutorial we will be demonstrating you the process step by step. Without further ado, lets get started.
- Plug Quectel EC25 Mini PCIe module to the Sixfab 3G-4G/LTE Base Shield v2.
- Connect required antennas to EC25 module. (Antenna Connecting Guide will be Available soon!)
- Attach the Shield on top of your Raspberry Pi and connect the micro-USB cable that comes with the Shield.
Make sure you are using original Raspberry Adapter as your power source.
- First run update
sudo apt-get update
- Install Raspberry Pi kernel headers.
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel-headers
- Check installed kernel headers packet version
In our case, it is 4.14.79
- Now open your browser and go to rpi-firmware github repository commits
- Here, find out your version and click on <> button to browse the repository at that point in the history.
- From the link copy the hash as shown in the image below.
- Now go back your terminal and update rpi in following format. Replace the term <hash> with your hash as shown in the image.
sudo rpi-update <hash>
- Reboot your Raspberry Pi in order to activate the new firmware.
- After rebooting, download qmi_installer.sh script.
- Change the permission of the script.
sudo chmod +x qmi_install.sh
- Run the installer script
- At the end of installation enter any key to reboot your Raspberry Pi.
- |Open and change your directory to files/quectel-CM
- Now run the following command to connect to the Internet
sudo ./quectel-CM -s internet
Here internet is the APN for the network provider.
Don’t forget to replace it with your APN.
- Now you can check you IP using
- Raspberry Pi GSM/GPRS Shield
- Raspberry Pi 3G-4G/LTE Base Shield V2
- Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Application Shield
Each of these shield can be connected to Internet via PPP(Point to Point Protocol). For this tutorial we have written an script to install and perform required steps.
Without further ado let us jump into the installation process:
- Get the script by the following command
- Now change the permission of the downloaded script.
chmod +x install.sh
- Now install the script
It will ask several questions, just answer them accordingly to complete the installation process. The questions are:
- Please choose your Sixfab Shield
You will be offered to choose among the mentioned three shields. Then it will fetch required scripts for you.
- Do you have updated kernel
It asks if your kernel is up-to-date. If no[N] it updates the kernel else it skips the update. Then it installs ppp.
- What is your carrier APN?
Here, it asks for your carrier’s APN. For me it is hologram.
- Enter your PORT name
In this step you will enter your PORT. For 3G, 4G/LTE Base Shield it will be ttyUSB3.
- Do you want to activate auto connect/reconnect service at R.Pi boot up?
This option allows you to connect to Internet via your shield automatically when your Raspberry Pi Starts. If you want to connect to Internet automatically type y else N. If you have selected N then you will need to run
sudo ponto connect to internet and
sudo poffto stop it.
- Please choose your Sixfab Shield
Enjoy your Internet connection.
Route: One of the possible errors you may get is routing error. In this case, run the following commands
sudo route del default
sudo route add default ppp0
Credential: If your carrier asks for username and password;
Remove noauth from /etc/ppp/peers/provider and add following lines
user “YOUR USERNAME”
In this tutorial we will learn how to get GPS data using 3G, 4G/LTE shield.
GPS(Global Positioning System) also known as NavStar indicates the position of an individual on the earth. The Satellites orbiting around the earth sends precise details of their positions at a regular interval of time. Once information are received by a GPS receiver, a GPS receiver can pinpoint the location.
There are also navigation systems which support in their in specific regions like GLONASS provided in Russia.
For this tutorial we will need
a. Raspberry Pi
b. 3G, 4G/LTE Shield
c. 3G, 4G/LTE module (for 3G UC20 and for 4G EC25 is used)
d. PCB Mobile Antenna (2x)
e. GPS Antenna
Here it goes
Previously we have used GPRS shield to establish internet connection. Now we will use 3G, 4G/LTE shield for PPP internet connection. In order to make a 3G and 4G connection we will need to use Quectel UC20 and Quectel EC25 modules respectively.
As this tutorial is for 3G-4G/LTE PPP Internet connection, we will use Quectel UC20 3G module or Quectel EC25 4G/LTE module, which are series of powerful function UMTS/HSPA+ module and series of LTE category 4 module optimized specially for M2M, IoT and multimedia applications respectively. Due to rich set of protocols, industry-standard interfaces and abundant functionalities extend the applicability of the module ti a wide range of M2M and IoT applications such as industrial router, industrial PDA, rugged tablet PC, video surveillance and digital signage.
Original Raspbian Jessie kernel doesn’t support Quectel EC25/UC20 modules, then we fixed kernel, you can replace your module files with new files.
Sixfab 3G/LTE Shields provides very high speed internet connection. Use Raspberry Pi camera and you can make live stream to Youtube and Facebook. You can use following transactions for work.
Connect internet over Mobile and send tweets with image and text. You can use following transactions for work.
Diy your Security system easily with this tutorial.