- Raspberry Pi GSM/GPRS Shield
- Raspberry Pi 3G-4G/LTE Base Shield V2
- Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Application Shield
- Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT HAT
Each of this shields can be connected to the Internet via PPP(Point to Point Protocol). For this tutorial, we have written a script to install and perform the required steps.
Without further ado let us jump into the installation process:
- Get the script by the following command
- Now change the permission of the downloaded script.
chmod +x install.sh
- Now install the script
sudo ./install.shIt will ask several questions, just answer them accordingly to complete the installation process. The questions are:
- Please choose your Sixfab ShieldYou will be offered to choose among the mentioned three shields. Then it will fetch required scripts for you.
- Do you have updated kernelIt asks if your kernel is up-to-date. If no[N] it updates the kernel else it skips the update. Then it installs ppp.
- What is your carrier APN?Here, it asks for your carrier’s APN. For me it is hologram.
- Enter your PORT nameIn this step you will enter your PORT. For 3G, 4G/LTE Base Shield it will be ttyUSB3.
- Do you want to activate auto connect/reconnect service at R.Pi boot up?This option allows you to connect to Internet via your shield automatically when your Raspberry Pi Starts. If you want to connect to Internet automatically type y else N. If you have selected N then you will need to run
sudo ponto connect to internet and
sudo poffto stop it.Make sure your module is powered up(Not applicable for Base Shield).
Enjoy your Internet connection.
Route: One of the possible errors you may get is routing error. In this case, run the following commands
sudo route del default
sudo route add default ppp0
Credential: If your carrier asks for username and password;
Remove noauth from /etc/ppp/peers/provider and add following lines
user “YOUR USERNAME”
|3G-4G/LTE Base Shield||ttyUSB3|
|Cellular IoT App. Shield||ttyS0|
If you face any problem please ask your question in the comment section below. Also mention which shield are you using/HAT