Raspberry Pi 3G/4G<E Base HAT
You can insert 3G/4G<E mini PCIe modules and this Base HAT becomes a bridge between Raspberry Pi and modem. This cellular HAT provides simplified data connection for remote IoT project, on the field, across the globe, everywhere. Start using a high-speed LTE connection with low power consumption in a slim form factor with all necessary software for Raspberry Pi. You will definitely need to get a miniPCIe module to make it works. It is a newer version of the Base Shield, find a comparison below.
483 in stock
The Sixfab 3G/4G&Base HAT grants your Raspberry Pi or 40-pin Pi compatible single-board-computer a super-simple interface bridge between miniPCIe cellular modems. With the modems you insert into Base HAT, your Raspberry Pi based projects will acces data networks all around the world. This Base HAT enables high-bandwidth cellular connectivity on your remote devices. From low-power consumption LTE-M to ultra-high-speed LTE-Advanced miniPCIe cards supported by this HAT. Both UART and USB communication with modules is available on the shield.
Remote management of your devices on the field, secure connection over the mobile network, reliable coverage across the globe with lots of carrier option is available with this HAT stacked on the Raspberry Pi. It can be used as an LTE modem or dongle. If you’re looking for a Raspberry Pi LTE HAT for applications like Raspberry Pi video streaming or high-speed data transferring, you are at right place. Making a remote controllable LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot, high-speed GPS tracking, more and more use case is possible with his add-on board.
- Fully compatible with Raspberry Pi models that have the 40-pin GPIO header (4, 3, 2, B+, A+, Zero)
- Easy-to-use, simple setup, plug-and-play
- QMI and PPP are supported
- Clip-in Mini PCIe socket compatible with worldwide LTE, UMTS/HSPA+ and GSM/GPRS/EDGE coverage with regional or global modules which work with different frequencies&carriers
- With the 4G/LTE Module(e.g Quectel EC25) you can reach 150Mbps downlink and 50Mbps uplink data rates. And the 3G Module( e.g Quectel UC20) delivers the maximum data rate of 14.4Mbps downlink and 5.76Mbps uplink.
- Micro SIM Card socket can easily reachable on the upside of the shield.
- Can be used standalone with PC/Laptop over micro USB, without stacking with Raspberry Pi.
- The shield can be powered from an external 5V source by exposed power pins, directly from Raspberry Pi 5V GPIO headers, via micro USB, or optional JST connector on the bottom of the board. A specially designed 90-degree right angle micro USB cable is included to package.
- Efficient and low quiescent current power circuit can hold up to 3Amps
- Optional Send/Receive commands over Raspberry Pi UART port is available
- Taking the module into the Airplane Mode, resetting module or RI and DTR functions can be accessible over GPIO pins.
- The power of the whole board electronics can be disabled for low-power consumption use cases
- The modules(EC25&UC20) have built-in GNSS(GPS/GLONASS) receiver for your location-based applications.
- Working temperature range: -40°C ~ 80°C
Base HAT vs Base Shield V2
- Base HAT does not require to choose its header type, long, short or no header. It comes with an SMD header acceptable and short&long headers, you can stack it whatever you want.
- You can completely disconnect the power of HAT by driving GPIO26 to a HIGH-level voltage state. Then it starts to consume below 1 milliamp typically.
- USER LED is added and light up if you drive GPIO27 to HIGH.
- USER BUTTON added and pulled-up by default. When you push the button, you can sense a LOW level from GPIO22.
- Now, it can be called as a HAT not shield, complies with HAT requirements by Raspberry Pi Foundation.
- It has a slot for Pi Camera on board for easy mount.
- The location of the micro USB connector realigned. It is better now to use the right-angle micro USB cable included in the package without bending it too much.
- There is a new footprint for a surface mount right-angle JST connector on the bottom of the board for external 5V sources. It is not soldered by default.
- All GPIO pins used by HAT connected to Raspberry Pi IOs via normally-close jumpers. You can easily cut the connection on the bottom of the board if the pin occupied by another HAT you stacked on it.
Migration to Base HAT from Base Shield V2
The new HAT has better power circuitry and features than Base Shield V2. It is pin-to-pin compatible, your old setup will work with the new Base HAT right out of the box. You need only check the following points:
- On the Base Shield V2 the GPIO26 connected to PERST-PCI pin of the miniPCI pinout. It lets you reset the modem by changing the state of this pin. Now, this pin used for enabling/disabling of the power of HAT, that means you can reset the modem by cutting its power and enabling then.
- Two new IO pins, GPIO27 and GPIO22 populated by USER LED and BUTTON respectively by this new HAT. If you need these pins by your project, you can cut the jumpers on the bottom of the board easily. (SJ5 for button, SJ6 for LED)
- Video/Music Streaming
- Large Data Downloads and Uploads
- LTE Dongle/Router
- Mobile Internet Hotspot
- High-speed GPS Tracking
- Real-time Environmental Monitoring
- Smart City & Agriculture Applications
- Smart Parking
- Security & Asset tracking
The HAT comes with built-in SMD header acceptable and two headers with different lengths included in the package by default. You can choose the right version for the project and stack and use it immediately without soldering it.
- Long Header: If you plan to attach another Raspberry Pi HAT or add-on board on top of the Base Shield, you will definitely need this variation. Also, using GPIOs with jumper cables is possible with these male headers. If you need to stack another shield on top of Base HAT or still need to use GPIOs, the long header will be useful.
- Short Header: At the case you need the HAT as the slimmest possible, the short header will work like there is no header added length above the Raspberry Pi.
- Without Header: If just the plugging Base HAT via micro USB cable to Raspberry Pi is enough for you, or you’ve already attached a bulky shield on Pi, doesn’t need UART communication or IOs, headerless HAT works greatly. For knowing what you missing without headers, take a look at the Pinout Diagram of the HAT, these pins will be unconnected.
Compatible Mini PCIe Modules
- AirPrime MC Series
- LM960, LE910V2, HE910, LE910Cx, and more
- ME909s-120, ME909s-821, and more
- SIM7100, SIM7230, and more
- ZM8620, and more
- MPCI-L2 Series
- Raspberry Pi 4, 3, 2, B+, A+, Zero
- Asus Tinker Board
- Rock 64*
- Orange Pi*
- Samsung ARTIK’s Eagleye board*
- Latte Panda
Note 1: The modules’ default drivers may not work with all these mini-computers. There may need some Kernel work to implement the drivers. We’re working on Quectel Modules’ drivers to make them ready for each single-board-computer the list. Please take a look at our support section for details.
Note 2: These compatibility list created by assuming you’ve connected the Base HAT to the device via USB. UART communication can be work with every device in the list easily which have 3.3V level UART port.
- For the best working condition, power the Raspberry Pi with a minimum 2 Amps 5V adapter while using the Base HAT attached.
- We don’t recommend the usage of long and low-quality micro USB cables between Base Shield and Raspberry Pi. It causes data and power loss. Thus, the cable included the package works greatly.
- PWR LED: When the module is powered up, this RED led turns on.
- SGNL LED: This BLUE led indicates the status of the connection. When the connection is established and data is being transmitted/received, this led will blink at special intervals. Otherwise, if there is no connection, the led will remain off.
- USER LED: It is a programmable user-led can control from the GPIO27 of Raspberry Pi for debugging or just fun.
- 1x Sixfab 3G/4G<E Base HAT for Raspberry Pi
- 1x 90-degree Right Angle Micro USB Cable
- 1x Long Header
- 1x Short Header
!NOTE: The 3G/4G-LTE Mini PCIe modules are not included.
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet. Be the first to ask a question about this product.